Washington State Labor and Industries has some good resources on protecting yourself when a hiring contractor. What You Should Know About Hiring a Contractor, Remodeler, or Handyman gives some useful information.
In addition, they have a website, www.ProtectMyHome.net. It is L&I’s online toolbox for homeowners looking for the right contractor, where you can:
- Verify a contractor’s Washington registration.
- Find out how long they’ve been registered and if they have workers’ compensation insurance for any employees they may have on your property.
- Check for any pending or past legal actions against the contractor and their bonding company, other business names used in the past, and any past infractions.
- Download a copy of our Hire Smart Worksheet.
- Get step-by-step advice on how to hire a contractor